Thursday, July 25, 2013

Man in the mirror

I look in the mirror and see a face that is not mine. His eyes follow my every move, his body doing the same as mine without a second delay. I lean closer to the glass, as does he, staring directly into his eyes. Fear grips me as the man smiles at me. "I know what you are." He seems to say. "You are me."
I push away from the mirror. It falls to the ground and shatters in pieces. I run away from the shards of mirror on the floor, but in the corner of my eye, I see him running through the window next to me. I duck dodge and weave, trying to find a place to hide, a place where he can't find me. Smash all the windows or glasses, the mirrors. Push away the reflective picture frames, running through the halls, hearing his footsteps pounding behind me. In my room I hide. I can feel him trying to find a way into the covers that tent over my head. 

"Let me in." He whispers in my ear through the fabric, sending a shiver coursing down my spine, fear washing over me like waves over a drowning man.

"No." I whisper back, pulling the blankets tighter over me. And there I stay cowering on my bed like a frightened child as he whispers in my ear, wanting in. Wanting to become me. Wanting to be me.
But I can't let him in. I can't. 
I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment